AN illegal dumpsite at Chin Farm, Batu Ferringhi, Penang, has finally been cleared.
Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) and its water management arm PBA Holdings Bhd along with eight property developers took part in a gotong-royong cleanup.
The dumping and open burning at the area had been bothering residents there for more than a year.
Joint Management Board (JMB) Ferringhi Villas chairman Steven Tan said: “The polluted air was causing breathing difficulties among the residents.
“We decided to participate in the gotong-royong by sending eight gardeners to clean up the site.”
Pulau Tikus assemblyman Koay Teng Hai said the cleanup was part of the state government’s effort to resolve illegal dumping and open burning problems in the southwest district.
“The Department of Environment (DOE), state government and MPPP all received numerous complaints on the matter in the last one-and-a-half years.
“Though the DOE had issued compound notices to the land owner, the illegal activities continued in the area, causing discomfort among the residents,” he said during a press conference on Friday.
Koay said those found guilty of illegal open burning could be fined up to RM500,000 or sentenced to five years in prison.
“So far, we have identified three companies responsible for dumping construction waste illegally at Chin Farm.
“We will negotiate with these companies and issue stop-work orders as the last measure to solve the matter,” added Koay.
The land owner PBA Holdings Bhd will also beef up its security measures by installing a gantry to prevent heavy vehicles from entering the place.
MPPP is also considering installing closed-circuit television cameras at the area to help identify the culprits.